By chrmilou Go To PostGreat thread! Stuff like this helps me learn and gives me ideas/solutions for my own work.

I've noticed a lot of people saying the game doesn't look that good and is barely better looking than Sunshine, but the slightest knowledge of 3D graphics makes that such a silly thing to say.

I'm so thankful I'm getting into 3D at a time where a normal triangle count for a character is 15-35k. I couldn't imagine having to work when the high end was 8k triangles!

This stuff makes me extremely scared to make my first fully 3D game/environment though…so much to do and learn.

First, I wish you the best in your future endeavors. Good Luck!

As for 3D modeling, I'd say that some modeling creativity is required for any character models with a budget under 100k polygons. Knowing where to cut corners is key, and unfortunately, it's not a very easy thing to know. Some people just have an eye for it, others learn with experience. Most artists just use as many polys as they can get away with. My advice is to limit yourself and start getting good with less. Once you have that down, your higher budget characters are going to look amazing. At least, that's what my friends with years of 3D modeling experience tell me anyway, I personally don't handle that side of development (PLT is my forté).

And yeah, I think people want a more diffuse rendering look for Mario (like Mario + Rabbids), instead of Odyssey's style which uses lots of specular reflections, which gives an overall 'plastic-y' look and feel. It's simply a different approach, but it doesn't mean that Odyssey is a bad looking game. When you factor in the robustness of its lighting model and rendering pipeline, its open sandbox levels, and that buttery smooth 60fps framerate, it's no question in my mind that it's the best looking game on the Switch.