update: MAR 25, 2018
gravitygauntlet shows us how he recreated videogame tracks here:
http://slaent.com/thread/1310895/page/2/post/1415243/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are lots of very gifted creative professionals here on SLAENT, and this thread is about sharing your work, and how you got there.
Usually when you share a piece you've created, its completed, but I thought it would be very interesting to show your process.
You're welcome to share something you've done in the commercial realm or just a personal work, but I would ask kindly to show a process (beginning WIP to end result) using screengrabs or photos.

Your work can range from:
showing how you created a piece of furniture with step-by-step photos,
your process for your digital artworks (graphic design, posters, character art, conceptual art)
sharing programming codes
or you could even share performance based like show how well you've evolved as a musician and sharing your tips and techniques on getting better)
or If you're a writer, share your thought process, and sharing other books/scripts that inspired you.

I'd encourage for those that want to participate to share their project files or show your progression with photos.
This is more of an educational thread where people share their work and people ask question about their work and less of showing off your latest Mona Lisa.
I'll also be continually changing the Title to reflect additions shared by users so people will know there are new works to be check out.

disclaimer: if you are sharing commercial work, please make sure you get permission to show or share digital project files. Or Don't share your work if you dont want people to copy it. This thread is more for education and learning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

with that said,
I'd like to share a recent personal work. I dont do much motion graphics as I mostly do live action VFX/compositing work.
but I decided to create a 'Stranger Things' inspired SL&ENT opening sequence. see below:

To save time, I've decided to download an existing youtuber's template where it had all the layers
and cuts already in place and take it further and closer to the original. (see reference section for original template by 'Tre Bennett')

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Software and plugins used:
After Effects CC 2017.1 Release
Trapcode Shine v2.0.0
DFX v4.0 by Tiffen
Misfire flicker v1.2.2
Photoshop CC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look:
I started by beginning the modifications with letters themselves. you'll notice imperfects in both the contour lines and the grainy, paper like texture for each letter.
I first created the letters in photoshop and used a displacement map for the rough edges and used a grain and paper texture to replicate the original.
I dont think I did a very good job in replicating the original. I fee like to really match the texture, I would need a finer grainy texture or use the existing texture I used on
the PSD files and shrink them down.
See below for all 3 versions:

Once the photoshop Letters are prepped,
I import them to After Effects. and apply necessary fx on their designated comps.
here's a breakdown of the letters on their own comp. (see flow chart or After Effects project file to see where I placed the fx)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlights and Noise:
Using Fractal noise, you can control what are highlights and what's underexposed.
The difference in my is there are fractal noise for each letter.
also the fractal noise was linked to the motion of the letter.
I didn't add motion to the fractal noise that went with the "Sports, life, Entertainment" portion.
its too paintstaking to match up motion for each letter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motion:
the original I believe used cameras to capture some of the motion. hence you'll notice the motion has imperfections as the camera rolls, pans, or zooms.
The template on Tre's project file did a good job on capturing those small imperfections in motion.
the only adjustments I've done is as the camera zooms out or pans, the first couple of seconds are bit jerky and slowly smooths.
My thought process was that cameras on rollers or sliders wont have perfect motion initially.
that's what I wanted to recreated. jerky at first, and gradually smooth.

Original:

My version:

Edit: I shoul'dve added a wiggle to the scaling attributes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flowchart:
The major difference in my flowchart is that I divided up the Letters in all the compositions.
I did this to resolve the floating highlights and shadows in Tre's version.
so instead of one long layer, I cut up the layer whenever a new letter appears as well as the fractal noise layer.
the Fractal noise Layer (using Luma Matte, instructs that letter where highlights and shadows will be)
I then mimicked the fractal layer in conjunction with the motion of the letter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FX:
After fractal noise and motion comes the last minute tweaks.

Added RedGiant Misfire to replicate the flickering.

added 'Selective Saturation' to desaturate the shadow/ non highlight areas.

Lastly, I also added unique film grain to each clip and bind it to motion of the letter.
so if the letter is getting smaller, so is the film grain and amount used.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Final Comparison:
I struggled the most with getting the glow just right.

References:
How the Stranger Things title sequence was made using physical cutouts and lights.
https://youtu.be/_a1lp_ygGB4?t=1m24s

Original template provided by "Tre Bennett" over on Youtube. with use of many modifications.
But, I took it one step further and tried to mimic the original creators by giving it that organic characteristics and imperfections.
you can download the original template here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsRcLWXQY1k

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Project files and assets:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/app0o8q6wzgkz54/stranger%20things.rar?dl=0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

closing thoughts:

I had no idea you can use Fractal Noise to mimic film noise!
I've learned a lot about motion graphics with the use of the graph editor.
for example, the "F*uck the Knicks* fly through, trying to match it with the Stranger Things version was a bit tricky,
but in the end, I got close in the ballpark with this curve.

LensDistortion makes 4k light leaks/flares and it was used in the original opening, but I didn't bother using any in my version because they were used very subtly to the point they were barely noticeable.

and I Kinda wish I had more time to tackle some of the weak points in my version like fully recreating the texture and edge glow.
This project showed me I still have a long way to go when a project demands I need to replicate a look.

Again, big props to "Tre Bennett" on youtube for providing a project file.

Anyways, i hope those that read this found it a fun post or at the very least inspires people to contribute to this thread.

Happy creating, SLAENT!