this is probably my first thread on a forum in months, maybe even year(s)

Anyways, how do you guys deal with people who use words they shouldn't? I think since I've grown out of my period of youth where I was unknowingly insensitive to all, I've wised up and tighten my lexicon to greater result. Should I be bothered when my boss uses words like retarded? (I wasn't but I told him that's kinda of a fucked up word to use, he looked at me with dull eyes.) or when someone uses raped as a term of domination in gaming? Throughout the years these were former traits I had, but I learned. Am I some holier than thou asshole who shouldn't worry about correcting people in that instance?

Since I have "joined" the FGC I've notice an opposition to the so-called "SJW" attitude in some circles of the fgc. But I don't get it? I haven't been able to get my friend to stick around because of some attitudes, but how could I blame her? They say now a days people look to get offended but I don't get that when it's just common respect not to use such attitudes for some people. Is respect that hard? Or is it just a grey morality that someone is infringing on another person's freedom to use that language and attitude? What balance is required in the end?