I wanted to post this on NeoGAF, but seeing as I'm a permajunior over there, as well as the fact that this is a particularly young forum, I'm posting it here.

So, as we all know, racism is a touchy thing in society, and it loses no touchiness within the internet forums. Most threads on race go to shit relatively quickly. Other places on the internet are even worse. Ever read the comments on any news/sports article that may not even touch on race at all? Hopefully, you never check Facebook feeds too often to read whatever racist spiel your in-laws are spewing. And don't even get me started on YouTube comments.

So, to solve this problem, I decided to make this thread to help discussions on race go smoother. This thread was created to help you understand the viewpoints people can have on racism, as well as how to properly discuss it without enraging yourself or others. Let's get started.

---

Before I list some basic rules to follow, there are two things you must understand:

1. The ones who can best describe racist terms, beliefs and/or actions, are the ostracized themselves.

When in a discussion regarding racism, it is best that you assume that the ostracized peoples (pretty much any person of color) knows what they are talking about, because they've likely been in situations that help them to easily identify racism. Yes, it's an assumption, but it is a logical one. It's also the best assumption one can make that helps you not look like a total fool; because why argue with a person of color about something that they perceive to be racist, when said person of color is the most qualified in the discussion to make that distinction?

2. The onus is on the dissenter to prove that something isn't racist.

I see this a lot on forums. For instance, on GAF there was a thread about North Korea calling US President Barack Obama a "monkey", and there was a few posters arguing that "monkey" has no racist connotation whatsoever. One poster even demanded proof of the term being used in a racist manner.

Problem is, when you consider the first rule of understanding, it is logical to assume that if a person of color is describing something as racist, it probably is. Also, coincidentally, it is waaaaaaay easier to prove something is racist than to prove it isn't. In the scenario above, it only takes a fucking five-second Google search to find the racist connotations, contexts, and usage of the word "monkey". So, therefore, if one asks "How is the word monkey racist?", or says "Prove that monkey is a racist term!", one can logically assume that the question isn't a well-intentioned one, as it would be pretty easy to find the answer if said poster really wanted to find said answer; so much so that said poster could do it him/herself.

On the other hand, it is much harder to prove that something isn't racist, because at that point, you're delving into intent, meaning, culture, etc. But if one is adamant that something isn't racist, then the onus is on that poster to prove it. Find examples of the subject at hand in non-racist settings or connotations. Link to your source for said info (more on that in a minute). Support your info with non-inflammatory theories. Do this, and you won't look like a fool.

---

Now, some basic rules. Commandments, if you will.

1. Be careful where you link to.

This is probably one of the easiest rules to break because not everyone is aware that all news sources are created or ran equal. I.e, if you're a dissenter that links to a Fox News article to support your argument, you will look like a huge idiot. If you include the quote from a Stormfront article, you're gonna look like an asshole.

Save yourself the trouble by linking to more neutral news sources.

2. Do not use your country of origin/current place of residence to excuse racism.

It's one thing to be ignorant of racism of a particular form because you're from a different country where said form of racism isn't all that common; it is another thing entirely to say that something isn't racist because you think where you live isn't racist. So, if you're debating that the term "monkey" isn't racist, don't support your argument by saying "That's an American thing, we don't do that over here." Because it is very easy to prove otherwise.

3. Be aware of your tone when posting.

There are three spectrums of tone that can really piss off people on the web when discussing racism:

A) The pure ignorant child tone - "Could someone please explain to me how this can possible be racist even though many people have given me anecdotes and info in this thread on the matter? I just don't understand!"

B) The indignant tone - "LOL this is just a bunch of social justice warrior bullshit. You guys all have an agenda, and you're all trying to ruin everything by making it about race!" And worst of all...

C) The faux "balanced" tone - "Well, why are you all jumping down on him? We need to have a balanced discussion, and I think the poster that said people are more racist against White people has a good, valid point."

Avoid sounding like this at all cost.

4. Do not pretend that racism against Whites is a widespread thing.

I ain't even gonna go into this one. Just STAHP

5. Read the goddamn thread/earlier posts.

You'd be surprised that people won't actually read to find the answer to whatever questions they might have on any particular subject, before posting said questions. If you read everything in its entirety, you'll find it much easier to come up with an informed opinion.

6. Beware of the logical fallacies and pitfalls.

It's very easy to fall victim to poor rationale when discussing racism. Using flawed arguments, false info, illogical statements, and insulting sentiments can render whatever arguments you are making useless. Make sure your logic is sound before posting.

7. Listen to what is being said.

A lot of discussions on this subject are filled with a lot of handwaving of people's opinions. Don't do this. Listen and see where other people are coming from. The discussion goes smoother that way.

8. Apply Occam's Razor heavily.

A lot of people like to call out posters who make logical assumptions on racism as exactly that: assumptions. But then, said posters make complicated, convoluted arguments which also use even more assumptions to make a defense of a racist action.

Simply put: The less assumptions, the better. And the first conclusion you reach to any information is usually the right one.

And the most important rule of all:

9. There is no such thing as a "balanced" discussion on racism, and there is a clear case of right and wrong. Be careful which side you fall on.

Racism is one of the few subjects where one can come to a pretty clear-cut conclusion. If you're being a racist, stop being a racist. If any particular institution disproportionately affects a certain group of people, change it so that it doesn't do that. If you have thoughts and opinions that might be racist, change them before speaking those thoughts out loud or acting upon said thoughts. Simple, easy, done.

But there exists the fallacy that there can be a "balanced" discussion on racism. That one must be considerate on the thoughts, opinions, and feelings of racist peoples. That one can see the logic in systemic racism. Hell, some people are willing to go out of their way to defend racism even if it means defending absolute pieces of shit individuals or countries (like, say NORTH KOREA).

Be aware that there is a definite "right" side, and a definite "wrong" side. Don't allow yourself to be viewed on the "wrong" side of the argument, and expect no backlash for it.

EDIT: I accidentally hit enter when I was editing the thread title, lol.