I'm a big JJ Abrams fan so I'm sure Episode 7 is great but I didn't want to jump in without seeing the first 2 trilogies.

I've been watching in release order and just finished Attack of the Clones (one more to go!) Just wanted to share some impressions:

- I can see why the first trilogy was so popular. Watching it, it's hard to believe this was done in the 70s (the blue ray looks fantastic and only the crappy muppet aliens give it away)

- I feel this is one of those nostalgia-fueled things. While enjoyable, I just don't find the characters or story-telling very compelling (especially in the older movies). I don't doubt that I'd be a total fanboy if I'd watched them in the 80s though!

- 2 movies in, I prefer the prequels to the original trilogy and it's not close. More badass Jedi action and Natalie Portman is just so fahn <3

- While the story and a lot of the character motivations aren't compelling to me, I really think they did a great job of linking the trilogies. I wouldn't recommend Machete order cos I think knowing things before-hand helps the viewer appreciate the prequels more. I mean, Phantom Menace would have been really boring to me if I hadn't watched the original trilogy. Instead, I was quite interested.

More thoughts after I watch Revenge of the Sith :)