https://youtu.be/peMIym95WNU - footage.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/23/9027433/doom-4-multiplayer-preview-gameplay-loadouts-unlocks?utm_campaign=polygon&utm;_content=chorus&utm;_medium=social&utm;_source=twitter

Excerpts from the Polygon article:
Before the match even began, each player was able to customize their loadouts, equipping two weapons from a list of six — mostly mainstays like the Plasma Gun, Rocket Launcher and Super Shotgun. Loadouts also included an Equipment slot, though only two options, a Frag Grenade and Personal Teleporter, were available there. Three preset loadouts were also available, and players were able to swap between them at will after each death.

but there's no less emphasis on controlling the arena and scavenging for more powerful fare — not to mention health, armor and ammunition. For example, the Gauss Rifle, a railgun capable of projecting a long, straight line of destruction, could only be found mid-match. Teams that play too defensively will miss out on the game's most powerful weapons altogether.

Downed enemies drop health and armor, forcing you to potentially expose yourself in order to recover after taking a few hits. One weapon, selectable in your loadout, actually becomes more powerful the more you move around, which couldn't be more on-the-nose.

Case in point: Not once during my match was I one-shot-killed by an enemy that I couldn't see. When an enemy and I turned a corner and saw each other, the encounter wasn't given to the first player to pull the trigger; it went to the most mobile, craftiest player. Soldiers on Doom's battlefield move faster than the soldiers on other shooters' battlefield, but in a lot of ways, they're a lot more survivable.

The only caveat to that pacing was the appearance of the Demon Rune, a power-up that transforms you into twin rocket-launching, jetpack-strapped Cyberdemon. The Demon Rune would spawn at certain intervals during the match, giving both teams a few seconds to get to its spawn point and pick it up first. It would behoove you to get there first — the Cyberdemon is brutal, carrying twice the health of a normal soldier and weapons capable of gibbing enemies on sight.

Those components will include some form of progression element for Doom's multiplayer modes, although Stratton didn't go into detail about what kind of unlocks players can shoot for.

"I think it's an important part of a game, that level of personalization, customization, the carrot on the stick," Stratton said. "There's lots of ways to do it. We've approached it in a way that works with our gameplay, without necessarily saying 'Oh, it has to be like Quake, or it has to be like Call of Duty.' When you find the gameplay you want, you build those types of systems around supporting that in whatever way is necessary.